[GRASSLIST:2392] Re: scan-resolution for maps

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Jan 29 08:09:20 EST 2004

As an addition to Wolfgang's excellent reply: it matters also whether
you scan in color, grayscale or black and white. Shannon's theorem is
directly applicable to black and white maps. I'm not sure about the
theory, but I think that with anti-aliased grayscale and color scans you
need a finer resolution. I had this experience with the original
cadastral maps of the Netherlands from 1832 (recently available on
www.dewoonomgeving.nl). Scanned parcel boundaries are not sharply
defined lines: pixel colors gradually flow over from line color to
background color. So even if lines on the map are approximately 1 mm
wide, a scanning resolution of 0.5 mm is not accurate enough.

FYY, I scanned some twenty historical maps of Amsterdam, mostly black
and white at 800 dpi, giving a street resolution of up to 10 cm. This is
way beyond Shannon's requirement, but it makes it possible to rectify
local parts of them very accurately. For larger overviews you can always
resample. BTW, GRASS does a very good job with these large rasters.

Jan