[GRASSLIST:2412] Re: v.proj problems

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Jan 30 15:38:12 EST 2004

Quoting Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Ian Macmillan wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I am trying to convert some data from a lat-long projection to a
> utm
> > projection.  I am using v.proj, but the projected vectors come out in the
> wrong
> > location (northern hemisphere, when they should be southern).  The area I
> am
> > using is in Chile, so it is in the southern hemisphere, I was thinking
> this
> > might be the problem?  The v.info results are listed here.
> >
> >  Projection: UTM (zone 19)
> >  |N:    8062436    S:    3775859
> >  |E:     774210    W:    -213663
> >
> >  Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)
> >  |N:        -18    S:        -56
> >  |E:        -66    W:        -76
> >
> > Both projections use the wgs84 datum.
>
> What are the PROJ_INFO files for your locations? (g.projinfo)
> And the output of g.region -p ?
> I'm thinking it should say zone -19, not 19, although that wouldn't affect
> v.proj which should get all the projection information from PROJ_INFO. If
> it has zone: 19 then it should also contain south: defined although
> zone: -19 on its own should also work.

Hey all, so I am a bit of an idiot, the vector I am trying to import extends
much farther than zone 19.  I figured this must be the main problem.  However,
when I converted the vector to a raster (v.to.rast) and cut the raster down to
an area that is definitely within zone 19 (using r.mapcalc, and resizing the
region), using r.proj (in the utm location) only yields an error message saying
the proposed raster lies outside of my current region (even though the region
was set to fit an area larger than the raster.

Ack, i am lost, i have used r.proj successfully many times, but something seems
to be wrong here.

My proj_info file says zone: 19 and south: defined in the utm location.

Any ideas?
Thanks a bunch, ian