[GRASSLIST:2415] vector/sites mismatch

Steven Stoddard sstoddar at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 30 16:36:20 EST 2004

I have 2 related questions that hopefully someone can cast some insight
on.  I am not sure if they are a result of a naive oversight or not,
but ...
I have (attached) a sites file and a vector file both created in Arc --
the vector file is supposedly a polygon representation of the sites
file (green crosses), but pulling these into GRASS, I find that the
polygons and the sites don't correspond.  There seems to be a
semi-consistent N-S displacement of about 200 m, though not in all
cases.  Is this perhaps a result of a misprojection?  I have this same
problem with a SPOT image.

What would be the best way to correct the mismatch and ensure that the
maps are lined up properly?

Similar to that question, I did sub-sampling of a set of sites using
d.sites.pg -- which gave me the new subsets as separate site files but
they do not align with the original sites!  There is a 205m
displacement due south.  ???

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help/advice in advance,

Steve