[GRASSLIST:2422] Re: v.proj problems

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Jan 31 08:38:39 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:02:33PM -0800, Ian Macmillan wrote:
> Quoting morten at untamo.net:
>

> > The values for north and south in the utm location should both be
> > positive. I tried
> >
> > north:      8112600
> > south:      3770400
> >
> > and got Chile nicely in the monitor window.
> >
> > rgds
> > Morten
> >
> Hmm, that is interesting, then I guess the problem isn't with v.proj.  It is
> with r.in.gdal.  I imported a bunch of landsat rasters (from university of
> maryland).  The utm region that I gave is the region that shows when I set
> g.region raster=mylandsat.  I have posted the meta file here for the geotiffs i
> imported.
>
> www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ian_macmillan/p233r084_7x19991226.txt
>
> The coordinates given are all in latlong, however the projection said utm, hence
> my importing them into a utm location.  did I do something wrong there?
>
> -ian

Maybe related to the problem: At least one LANDSAT scene from university
of Maryland covering Botswana was regitered to UTM Northern hemisphere.
Using the tools from libgeotiff I was able to remap the coordinates
to southern hemisphere and to add the false northing required for UTM
South. This error was confirmed for the Botswana dataset by the Maryland
people.

However, I didn't look into above file if you have the same problem.
'gdalinfo' (best from current GDAL-CVS) is a great help to identify
such data set problems.

Markus Neteler