[GRASSLIST:3579] Re: Scripts wanted for GRASS Script Exchange

timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Thu Jun 3 04:30:11 EDT 2004

Hi Michael,
I like your idea of xchanging scripts although I haven't written any so far
since I am still in the early learning stages.

> I am starting this on a trial basis this summer because I don't yet
> know how much work this will be to maintain. A major issue is that
> Arizona State no longer permits standard ftp connections (only sftp),
> so I can't create an anonymous ftp downloads directory for the scripts.
> This means that I have to list them all individually in a html page.
> This isn't a lot of work, but it does add to the
> maintenance--especially given that the lack of standard ftp connections
> means that I have to manually upload all web material via sftp instead
> of using my web authoring and site maintenance program. However, I
> *think* that now that I have the basic format set up, it shouldn't be
> too difficult to keep up with adding new scripts.

You may find out what kind of server your university is useing.
I gues they use apache because of the ~userdir.
THe apache server creates index.html pages by itself if a folder doesn't
contain any.
So you may just design a start page and link to the subfolders with the
different scripts.
Then your visitor will just get a list of files to be downloaded:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass_scripts.htm (initial start page)
from there you can link either to
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass_scripts_download/ (folder for all
scripts)
or split them into
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass_scripts_display/
http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass_scripts_raster/

This wouldn't be so much hassle since once you get a script, you just place
it
in your folder.
Maybe there could be a small description with the script as a text file and
text list with all scripts in each folder.

Hope it helps
Tim