[GRASSLIST:3658] Updated Mac OS X build & install instructions

William K woklist at charter.net
Sat Jun 12 23:34:42 EDT 2004

A long overdue update to my take on installing GRASS on Mac OS X.  It
includes instructions for installing all needed dependencies, and GRASS
5.3 and 5.7 (both CVS), from scratch, without Fink (tho some bits could
work from Fink).

Included options (for both 5.3 and 5.7):

   NVIZ:                       yes
   X11 support:                yes
   JPEG support:               yes
   TIFF support:               yes
   PNG support:                yes
   Tcl/Tk support:             yes
   PostgreSQL support:         yes
   OpenGL(R) support:          yes
   SGI IRIS GL support:        no
   ODBC support:               no
   FFTW support:               yes
   BLAS support:               yes
   LAPACK support:             yes
   Motif support:              yes
   FreeType support:           yes
   GLw support:                yes
   NLS support:                no
   Readline support:           no
   C++ support:                yes
   External PROJ.4 support:    yes
   GDAL/OGR support:           yes

and additionally for 5.7: using shared libs and with MySQL support.

There is also the option to optimize the binaries to reduce 5.3 from
400MB to 175MB.

There are a few patches - for a Mac thing (framework support for
blas/lapack), a case where GRASS hasn't cought up yet (freetype), a
hack (TIFF LZW compression), and a mysql bug (reported today).

Most of this I've been using successfully for a while.  The optimizing
is recent, so I don't know yet if it's a good idea (you lose
debugging).  Being able to build 5.3 shared would probably be better to
reduce size.

Let me know what you think.  Comments welcome.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those least
suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy