[GRASSLIST:3675] Re: WG: r.surf.xy

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jun 15 18:53:22 EDT 2004

Jan Bartholdy wrote:

> I could not find the r.surf.xy module for grass 53. Does anybody know the
> source for download? Thanks a lot, Jan

Searching for "r.surf.xy" on Google comes up with:

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass4/html/r.xy.html

	r.surf.xy - GRASS module to produce two raster maps for use
	with r.mapcalc. One file contains the x-coordinates of each
	raster map cell, the other, the y-coordinates.

The description matches the r.xy program in 4.3 (although (0,0) is
actually the top-left, not the bottom-left).

It isn't present in 5.x. It isn't required, as r.mapcalc has built-in
functions row() and col() which return the current indices (although
r.xy has the top-left at (0,0), while row() and col() start at 1).

It would be fairly trivial to write a script which performs the same
function using r.mapcalc.