[GRASSLIST:3683] Re: gmake5 in grass57

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jun 16 09:32:14 EDT 2004

Daniel Isenegger wrote:

> > > i renamed the Gmakefile to Makefile (cause i got no other Makefile):
> >
> > That won't work. The syntax of a 5.7 Makefile is completely different
> > to that of a Gmakefile.
> >
> > Copy a Makefile from a similar module and modify it.
>
>  Hi thanks for your advice,
> but i didn't succeed to move a step forward:
>
> 'Copy a Makefile from a similar module and modify it.'
>
> a makefile from grass57 module? Like e.g. the display/d.erase/Makefile?

Yes. To simplify matters, use a Makefile from a module which has a
similar set of dependencies. E.g. if you need to use the
raster/display libraries, use a Makefile from one of the display/d.*
modules.

> (there I'm stuck with the include-line and its further invocations
> (Module.make))

What do you mean by "stuck"? All modules (programs) need the line:

	include $(MODULE_TOPDIR)/include/Make/Module.make

This includes all of the common definitions, along with the settings
which are generated by the configure script.

In earlier versions, the gmake script concatenated a set of files (one
of which was the Gmakefile) to produce the final Makefile. In 5.7, we
just use the "include" directive instead.

> However, i tried with different version of Makefiles

None of which look remotely like any of the 5.7 Makefiles, which
suggests that you aren't copying an existing Makefile.