[GRASSLIST:3703] Re: Newbie question from a mac user.

Thu Jun 17 18:32:37 EDT 2004

Hello Tor,

On Thursday 17 June 2004 23:52, Tor A Strand wrote:
> 2nd day on Grass 5,3/5.7 for mac
>
> I do not understand how to digitize maps and encounter the following
> problems
>
> 1. I am able to add an image to my directory of rasters (r.in.gdal) but
> unable to display the image.

the output name you specified in r.in.gdal is the name of your raster in GRASS

do
d.mon x0
to open a monitor
and then
d.rast name_of_your_raster

if you do d.rast in 5.3.0 you will be prompted to add a name if you type
"list" you get a list of all your raster files
in 5.7.0 a window will pop up where you can select your file with the cursor.

> 2. Then, how do I digitize the image.

you can either use v.digit or r.digit, depends on what you want.
the 5.7.0 functionality is under development hence if you want to close a
polygon in v.digit you have to set a centroid and then close the polygon with
the border function again.

> 3. How do I link a dbf or excel file to the database.
> 4. Where is the best place to obtain maps for Nepal

have a look at http://glcfapp.umiacs.umd.edu

regards, Martin