[GRASSLIST:2798] Re: mailing list for beginners

Jeff Stubbs cjstubbs at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 1 19:05:28 EST 2004

On Mar 1, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> James Plante wrote:
>
>>> Really I was just saying that questions about NVIZ not working are
>>> not
>>> usually 'beginner's questions' and there is no need for a separate
>>> list
>>> for them.
>>
>> Well, as a beginner myself, I can say that questions about NVIZ may
>> truly be beginners' questions. Being principally a Mac user, I'm not
>> fluent with compilation of source code, so I obtained a binary
>> installation of GRASS 5.0.3 from OpenOSX.
>
> Yeah, but unfortunately there's a big difference between compiling
> source code and compiling the NVIZ source code. The latter regularly
> causes problems for people who otherwise have no problems compiling
> source code.

</lurk>

Excuse me for jumping into this conversation. As an unix and Grass
newbie (Mac, print background), I find this list an invaluable tool for
getting up to speed. I only discovered Grass in mid-January and not
having a lot of spare time, I couldn't, for the life of me, get Grass
to compile. Blame it on the lack of experience. Then I noticed
Lorenzo's binaries were available. Within a day, I had the program
running. Thanks Lorenzo. Not being a professional, I still have a steep
learning curve ahead.

Now for the reason that I jumped into the conversation. Since I have
Grass 5.3 running on my main partition, I would like to offer the
services of my second partition to Lorenzo and the developer team as a
test bed for OS X distributions. I just use it for testing Apple's OS
patches before I apply them to my working partition. Perhaps, I could
document all the steps and put them on the wiki page for my fellow OS
Xers as a guide. Other thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff Stubbs

<lurk>