[GRASSLIST:2944] Re: invalid #dims or fields for site import

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 18:12:40 EST 2004

> I have been trying to import sites for San Diego,
> California (lat:32.861638 lon: -117.213281).  Some
> sites work, all the -116 sites will not (i.e.
> -116.656290 32.789870). When I import the manager is
> giving me this message:
>
> ERROR: ebuf -116.656290 32.789870 nbuf @u B)
> ERROR: G_site_new_struct: invalid # dims or fields
> Any suggestions?

I take it you are using s.in.ascii,

It looks like both long and lat are being scanned as easting (ebuf), and
northing (nbuf) is being saved as garbage "@u B)".

Possible causes: the space isn't really an ASCII space, try saving as a
comma separated .csv file instead. Same for the "-", are you sure it
isn't some other font's special character that just looks like an ASCII
dash?

=> Another thing to check is that you are importing three columns of
data, even if the third column is just a bunch of "1"s or something it
has to be there. See the (updated) online version of the s.in.ascii help
page for more info.

s.in.ascii is long overdue for some hardening, to deal with both the
three column requirement and the differing DOS/UNIX newline problems[*].

[*] try the venerable "dos2unix" as well to convert DOS text files to
UNIX newline format.

Hamish