[GRASSLIST:3387] Re: Compile Error-Tcl Problem?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon May 10 23:43:07 EDT 2004

Carl Brown wrote:

> I'm trying to build Grass 5.7 from cvs on a newly installed debian sarge i386
> system. I may still be missing some pieces of the puzzle, since this is the
> first attempted build of anything on this system, and I had to install a
> number of  *-dev and other packages to get through ./configure. For Tcl, I
> have installed packages:
>
> tcl8.0
> tcl8.3
> tcl8.4
> tcl8.0-dev
> tcl8.4-dev

> Here are the errors:
>
> grass51/lib/form/form.c:204: undefined reference to `Tcl_GetEncoding'
> grass51/lib/form/form.c:204: undefined reference to `Tcl_UtfToExternal'
> grass51/lib/form/form.c:323: undefined reference to `Tcl_GetEncoding'
> grass51/lib/form/form.c:323: undefined reference to `Tcl_ExternalToUtf'
> grass51/lib/form/form.c:329: undefined reference to `Tcl_SetSystemEncoding'

AFAIK, that code requires Tcl/Tk 8.4, but you are using 8.0 (i.e. the
tcl.h header which configure located is the 8.0 version).

You will need to ensure that the tcl.h and tk.h which configure finds
are the 8.4 versions. The simplest solution would probably be to
uninstall the tcl8.0-dev package (and probably the corresponding
tk8.0-dev package).