[GRASSLIST:3545] ISCLT3 in GRASS

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Sat May 29 17:37:52 EDT 2004

Is anyone in the GRASS community familiar with the
Industrial Source Complex Long Term (ISCLT3) Model of the
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency?  The ISCLT3 model
combines industrial source data with meteorological data
(the input data) and computes concentrations of pollutants
at specified receptor locations (the output data). (I think
that it is a frequently used implementation of the plume
model genre. See http://www.weblakes.com/lakeepa3.html for
the ISCLT3 model itself, which seems to be about 20,000
lines of Fortran.)

Would it make sense to port the ISCLT3 model to GRASS?
Would there be interested users?  What would be involved?
Is this project realistic and interesting? I am an
intermediate GRASS user and intermediate programmer but have
not done any development for GRASS.  Should I start by
examining the GRASS simulation models at http://grass.itc.it/modelintegration.html

BTW, are archives of GRASSClippings, the Journal of Open
GIS, available anywhere on the web?  I found a reference to
a plume-modeling article and wanted to follow up. Citation
to Fred Limp (GrassClippings 1992, Vol 6, no. 2, pg. 15).
Citation at http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/1994-October/022603.html

I'd be grateful for encouragement or discouragement and
suggestions.

Best regards,
Michael Ash

P.S. Notes to myself

GIS and Risk Assessment: A fruitful combination
http://gis.esri.com/library/userconf/proc96/TO50/PAP028/P28.HTM

The OLAF algorithm
http://www.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/lsx/research/projects/fliege/olaf/olaf.html