[GRASSLIST:4894] Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7.0 as a DBMS

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Mon Nov 22 02:11:20 EST 2004

My efforts in linking FileMaker through the OBDC has been somewhat
bazaar.  I tried to spent part of Saturday trying to figure out how to
set my FileMaker database up as a OBDC data source.  It appears I can
import from an OBDC source, but there does not appear to be a way of
exporting.  I tried to link it and got an error message.  I then tried
to just import my old site file using s.to.vect.  This is what happened:

GRASS 5.7.0:~ > s.to.vect input=wedge_tombs output=wedge_tombs
bash: s.to.vect: command not found
GRASS 5.7.0:~ > v.in.sites input=wedge_tombs output=wedge_tombs
Input format: dimension: 2   strings: 1   FP:1
DBMI-ODBC driver error: SQLConnect():
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Invalid string or buffer length (0)

ERROR: Cannot open database
       /Users/Documents/grass_stuff/Wedge_Tomb_Data.fp7
GRASS 5.7.0:~ >

Why is it associating my site file with the database?  More importantly,
how do I make it stop?

Somewhere in the struggle it mentioned something about the file being to
big.  Is there a limit to how big a site file can be imported into a
vector file?

Also, creating a location in graphical mode is still not working right.

One other thing.  When creating the location, I needed to use the list
command.  I've forgotten how to get out of the list once I find what I
need.  I could not find the correct key sequence in the book or manual.

I want to thank every one for there advice.

Later

Kurt D. Springs, M.Litt
University at Buffalo
Social Systems GIS Laboratory