[GRASSLIST:4967] Re: grass 5.7 vs. Debian sid

Dan Jacobson jidanni at jidanni.org
Thu Nov 25 18:57:26 EST 2004

Glad to hear the libogdi31.so bug is fixed.  But can someone confirm
that http://grass.itc.it/grass57/binary/linux/snapshot/ will really
work on Debian sid before I try the long download again.  Do test all
areas, e.g., d.vect.  As a wild guess experiment I tried
cd grass5.7.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-24_11_2004
ln -s libgrass_datetime.5.7.cvs.so libogdi31.so
but this only revealed a new
libgrass5.so.0: cannot open shared object file
which I hope won't greet me on the next download.
So I then did
ln -s libgrass_datetime.5.7.cvs.so libgrass5.so.0
but now d.vect says I have no vector files.

Of course a real .deb would be even neater. However sizes like
$ aptitude -v show grass
Version: 5.0.3-5.1
Compressed Size: 34.3M
mean I would only be able to get it on one of my rare
http://jidanni.org/comp/apt-offline/index_en.html
trips to town.

Odd, 7MB for source on
http://grass.cis.sinica.edu.tw/grass57/source/snapshot/
sounds like the 7MB for binary on
http://grass.itc.it/grass57/binary/linux/snapshot/
and not the several times larger file one sees with
apt-get source grass --print-uris
Hmmm, how did it get so slim and trim?

Well if I Use The Source, then I would have been immune from the above
problems in the first place?