[GRASSLIST:4490] Re: Newbie GIS question

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Oct 8 01:47:08 EDT 2004

Step #1 is to get your photos into GRASS. If you haven't done that, you need
to import them, probably using r.in.gdal, but possibly one of the other
r.in.xxx routines if needed. If they are not rectified and georeferenced,
you will need to do this. You can either use the
i.group->i.target->i.points->i.rectify (see image help) sequence OR use
i.orthophoto if these are aerials for which you have all the relevant aerial
photo data.

Once in GRASS, you can do a variety of manipulations to create a habitat
classification from your image. These include simple queries, neighborhood
analyses, landscape structure modeling, and image supervised and
unsupervised image classification (the latter are really for multiband
images, but it might work for what you want to do also). The Mac works great
for this.

I hope this helps.

Michael Barton

On 10/7/04 11:09 AM, "Rob Newman" <tatlar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a total newbie to GRASS and GIS. I am trying to do some preliminary
> habitat mapping for ecological analysis. What I have are some very high
> resolution aerial photographs of coastal marshes with trees, shrubs, ponds,
> streams etc. What I want to do is to try and map the photos by habitat, based
> on pixel color, proximity to pixels of other color etc. I know I am probably
> opening a whole can of worms here, but I would appreciate the help of many
> other far more experienced GRASS users. I have installed GRASS on my Mac OS X
> machine, but can install it on a Linux box if there are some macro's that I
> can
> use that can only be executed from a Linux host.
>
> Thanks very much in advance for your patience and help.
>
> - Rob
>

> ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo!
> Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

School of Human Diversity and Social Change
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA