[GRASSLIST:6496] buffers and statistics

Martin du Saire mdusaire at umn.edu
Fri Apr 15 16:58:14 EDT 2005

Thanks for all your help on the sites to vector question.  I think I'm on
my way to figuring it out.

Next question:

Is the process I am using to obtain the data I need a reasonable way to go
about it, or am I missing something (not having any real GIS training or
experience)?

a)  I used m.proj2 to convert my site location to the appropriate projection.
b)  defined the site with s.in.ascii, and converted it to a raster using
s.to.rast.
c)  created the buffer zone using r.buffer
d)  patched the landcover map in the buffer zone with r.patch -z
e)  calculated statistics with r.stat -c

Thanks.