[GRASSLIST:6526] problem importing vector

Brian Beckage Brian.Beckage at uvm.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:19:46 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm new to GRASS (and to GIS).  I'm having trouble importing a vector
file (using v.in.ogr) of the Everglades coastline in Florida, USA.
The coastline is very irregular with many small islands.  My machine
has been working for three days, appears to be making progress (e.g.,
the line number at the bottom of the output shown below keeps
increasing), albeit slowly.  I estimate that it will take about a
week to complete this import.  I'm using Grass 6.0 on Mac OSX and the
output is displayed below.  My specific questions are:

1.  Should I wait a week for this to complete, e.g., is it likely to
successfully complete this import, or is the long time required
indicative of a problem?

2.  Is there a faster way of accomplishing this import?

Thanks for your help,
Brian

>v.in.ogr dsn=/Users/PROJECTS/ENP/Plot_Info/GIS/PaulsCD/k24bound.shp
>output=k24bound
A datum name nad27 (North_American_Datum_1927) was specified without
transformation parameters.
WARNING: Non-interactive mode: the GRASS default for nad27 is
          towgs84=-22.000,157.000,176.000.
Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match.
Proceeding with import...
Layer: k24bound
Building topology ...
18233 primitives registered
Building areas:  100%
18233 areas built
18233 isles built
Attaching islands:  100%
Attaching centroids:  100%
Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   18233
Number of primitives:   18233
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   18233
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   18233
Number of isles     :   18233
Number of areas without centroid :   18233
WARNING: Cleaning polygons, result is not guaranteed!
Building topology ...
Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   18233
Number of primitives:   18233
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   18233
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   -
Number of isles     :   -
Break polygons:
Registering points ... 745775
All points (vertices): 764031
Registered points (unique coordinates): 745775
Points marked for break: 18254
Breaks:    65
Remove duplicates:
Duplicates:     0