[GRASSLIST:6535] Re: resolution

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Apr 18 19:49:17 EDT 2005

Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> I'm wondering why does it happen, that when the resolution is decreased
> (even if very slightly), some separate pixels dissapear on display. And when
> I continue decreasing res they re-appear, but some other dissapear again.
> What's more, it doesn't reffer to display only - also when 'r.mapcalc' is
> used the resulting layers miss the same pixels as on the display. Badly
> puzzling. I would rather expect these pixels only to grow but not to get
> gone for good. See attachments.

Decreasing the region resolution (increasing the cell size) results in
fewer samples so the probability that at least one sample point will
fall in any given map cell decreases, so the probability that no
sample point will fall in any given map cell increases.

E.g. if the underlying map has 100x100 cells, the region also has
100x100 cells, and the region boundaries match the map's boundaries,
there will be a 1-to-1 correspondence between map cells and region
cells. If the region resolution is then reduced to e.g. 90x90, you
have 10000 map cells but only 8100 region cells, so not all of the map
cells will survive the resampling.