[GRASSLIST:6544] Re: Tecahing GIS with GRASS

Stephan Holl sholl at gmx.net
Tue Apr 19 08:59:22 EDT 2005

Hello Alejandro,

answers inline...

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:57:16 -0700 Alejandro Hinojosa
<alhinc at cicese.mx> wrote:

> Dear list,
> I am going to teach a coure on GIS and I would like to use GRASS.
> Some questions.
> 1.- Should I introduce the students  to the newer version 6 or use to
> the stable 5.4

From my point of view I would highly suggest to use the stable version
GRASS 6.0 or even the shortly upcoming version 6.0.1.
You students should definitly have a look at the new vector features in
GRASS 6.
Furthermore nearly all raster-modules are ported to GRASS 6.

> 2.- Are there any teaching materials for the lab, tutorials, that
> could assist me on this task.

GDF Hannover bR [1] offers trainig cources and tutorials [2] as well,
currently only in german language. A english translation is ready
translated and needs only some "polishing".

Again, as other posters already mentioned the book Neteler/Mitasova
[3]/[4] is excellent as a GRASS reference book.

> 3.-How can I overcome thee concurrent access problem,  creating
> and  account for each user or is there another route.?

I am not quite sure what you mean. If you are talking about users on a
single system, it is good to have single users on one maschine.

If you are talking about a distributed data-basis (e.g. on a NFS-mount)
you should create seperate mapsets for seperate users.

Hope this helps

Best regards

	Stephan Holl

[1] http://www.gdf-hannover.de/leistungen.php?id=3&lg=en