[GRASSLIST:6548] Re: problem importing vector

Brian Beckage Brian.Beckage at uvm.edu
Tue Apr 19 10:56:55 EDT 2005

At 4:16 PM +0200 4/19/05, Radim Blazek wrote:

>The import of areas can be slow if some features cover big part of
>the map as it this case probably the costline. The reason is that
>v.in.ogr will try to intersect the costline with other features in
>bounding box, if the box is big, many features must be processed.
>
>Hamish posted more deatails about the patch.
>
>You can verify if this is the problem. If you have current CVS
>version of GRASS, try:

I have a pre-compiled binary version of GRASS (6.0.0) for OSX, not
the cvs version.

>v.in.ogr -c
>v.split
>v.clean tool=break

Is this sequence of commands equivalent to v.in.ogr?

>>Break boundaries:
>>Intersections: 297999 (line 89173)
>
>This is strange, there should be no intersections in costline +
>islands. Am I wrong? Try to import with v.in.ogr -c and find where
>the boundaries intersect.

Well, this layer actually contains all water/land boundaries
including the coastline, islands, and inland water bodies such as
canals, lakes, etc.

>Is the sea and area? If so, you must somehow exclude the shape with
>sea (ogr2ogr -where)

Brian

Brian Beckage
Department of Botany