[GRASSLIST:6631] Import GRASS-Data from a distant Location/Mapset

Marco Lechner marco.lechner at geographie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Apr 27 03:41:00 EDT 2005

Hi list,

I wonder if it is possible to import GRASS-Data into my Location/Mapset from
a Location/Mapset wich is storted somewhere else in the Network?
I'm using GRASS for a GIS-Lecture and each user has its own
Spearfish-Location/Mapsets. This is necessary, because the students also
should learn to administrate a whole location.
If I want to import one of the layers a student produced in his mapset I
have to

> cd PATHtoMAPSETfrom
> tar cfz temp.tgz [list of relevant layernames - may be with wildcards:
i.e. ./*/elevation* ./*/landuse.30m ./*/layernameA ...]
> mv temp.tgz PATHtoMyMAPSET
> cd PATHtoMyMAPSET
> tar xzf temp.tgz
> rm temp.tgz

Is there an easier way - did anyone write a script for this problem? The
easiest way would be to have a module wich
- asks for the path of the distant Mapset
- checks, if the locations differ or not
- lists the available layers (raster, vector, sites, ...)
- lets you choose the layers
- copies the chosen layers in my current mapset

-> well, I'm not very knowledgeable about programing such a module:

Marco

Marco Lechner

office:
Department of Physical Geography