[GRASSLIST:6648] v.net.path cost function?

Ryan D Taylor ryant at cs.utah.edu
Wed Apr 27 12:27:13 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the v.net.path module uses to determine the
default cost of an arc.  It doesn't seem to be distance as this is the
shortest path it gave me between 2 nodes:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~ryant/shortestpath.gif

Also, as some background information, this is what i've done to generate
the shortest path.  I started with some vector data called "slc" which
contains real road data, then I ran a v.net to generate a vector map
called "nodesmap" with the node data. then i did a v.category with
"nodesmap" as the input and "categorymap" as
the output.  Finally I did a v.net.path with "categorymap" as input and
"shortestpath" as the output--which you can see in red in the gif file.

Ultimately I'm trying to determine a shortest path between two points that
takes into account more than distance.  My original vector data set
contains columns that describe speed limits, road directions, road
quality, etc.  How could I get v.net.path to take several fields like that
into account?  Also, since I'm generating the "shortestpath" vector map
from "categorymap" and not from my original dataset "slc", how can I
specify to v.net.path to take into account values from "slc"?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  I really appreciate it.

Ryan T.