[GRASSLIST:7872] Vector Class -> Raster Class (big image)

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 11 14:54:13 EDT 2005

Ok, so I have a vector file with a bunch of attributes, some of which are
class names.  I want to convert this vector coverage to a raster image based
on one of the attributes, where the attribute classes get converted to an
integer (I can manually create an integer field, if this makes it more
complicated).  How do I go about this?

A second issue is that this is going to output a rather massive raster
(probably ~ 7gb), forgetting about 64-bit issues for a minute, does anyone
know if the vector-> raster conversion is optimized (e.g. Does it create the
raster row by row or is it going to attempt to load the entire raster into
memory?), or am I going to see this choke?

Thanks!

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD