[GRASSLIST:7905] Re: Hutchinson's Adaptive Alogrithm for sound DEMs?

orkun temiz at deprem.gov.tr
Mon Aug 15 11:40:38 EDT 2005

Michael Barton wrote:

>I just want to echo my support of this. My colleagues and I are trying to to
>model Holocene landforms in the Mediterranean, using DEM's created from
>Terra ASTER imagery, along with ASTER and other satellite imagery, and
>ground truthing. These kinds of additions to interpolation routines would be
>very helpful.
>
>Michael
>Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>School of Human Evolution and Social Change
>Arizona State University
>Tempe, AZ 85287-2402
>
>phone: 480-965-6213
>fax: 480-965-7671
>www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton
>

>>From: Dylan Beaudette <dylan at iici.no-ip.org>
>>Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:51:34 -0700
>>To: Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl>
>>Cc: GRASS user list <grasslist at baylor.edu>
>>Subject: [GRASSLIST:7897] Re: Hutchinson's Adaptive Alogrithm for sound DEMs?
>>
>>Maciek and other GRASS users,
>>
>>These are great points to consider. My work leads me into the realm of
>>terrain analysis, so this topic is near and dear to me. I think that it
>>would be great if the pooled efforts of the GRASS community could be
>>used to make GRASS the premier DEM creation / modification environment.
>>Since the quality of a DEM is of the utmost importance when calculating
>>primary and secondary terrain parameters, documentation of and
>>confidence in the algorithms used for DEM creation should be a
>>priority.
>>
>>Currently v.surf.rst provides a very flexible means to produce
>>elevation surfaces from point and contour data. The recent work by
>>Tomas Cebecauer and others (See "Processing digital terrain models by
>>regularized spline with tension: tuning interpolation parameters for
>>different input datasets" from the proceedings to the 2002 GRASS
>>conference.) shows how v.surf.rst can be used in a method similar to
>>ANUDEM to enforce proper drainage networks, by adding a "terrain
>>skeleton".
>>
>>In addition, in reference to a recent message from David Finlayson
>>regarding cross-validation of v.surf.rst derrived data, it might be a
>>good idea for someone with some experience doing so to make a how-to
>>document. I for one am still a bit baffled at how to properly use the
>>cross-validation tools in v.surf.rst.
>>
>>Of course all of this is easy for me to say, and much harder to
>>implement. As my C skills are not the best, perhaps I  can contribute
>>to this aspect of future work in the form of documentation...
>>
>>Any thoughts, ideas from other users?
>>
>>--
>>Dylan Beaudette
>>Soils and Biogeochemistry Graduate Group
>>University of California at Davis
>>530.754.7341
>>

>>On Aug 14, 2005, at 12:03 PM, Maciek Sieczka wrote:
>>

>>>Helena, Markus,
>>>
>>>Since improving v.surf.rst is discussed, I would like to ad a few
>>>notes from
> [...]
If the subject is DEM. I can offer some:

1. Kriging interpolation in Grass to create DEM might be an idea.
(using R in grass requires a big computer memory and long time)
2. Since it is the mother of some maps, DEM is a crucial thing in GIS
applications. Any document list related with DEM may be useful.

regards

Ahmet Temiz
geologist
Earthquake Research Department
TURKEY

XamimeLT - installed on mailserver for domain @deprem.gov.tr
Queries to: postmaster at deprem.gov.tr
The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail message are the sender's own
and do not necessarily represent the views and the opinions of Earthquake Research Dept.
of General Directorate of Disaster Affairs.

Bu e-postadaki fikir ve gorusler gonderenin sahsina ait olup, yasal olarak T.C.
B.I.B. Afet Isleri Gn.Mud. Deprem Arastirma Dairesi'ni baglayici nitelikte degildir.