[GRASSLIST:7959] Re: r.proj takes a very long time / does not complete

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 16:25:26 EDT 2005

Hello Maciek

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> That would be very handy if r.proj could estimate the best output resolution
> as well. I remember there was some discussion about completely replacing
> r.proj warper with gdal warper. Any news?

The way I see it is that they perform two different, complementary
functions. gdalwarp is useful if you have a whole map/image you want to
convert to a new projection and not lose any of the data. r.proj is useful
if you already have a region of interest you're working on in the GIS, and
want to import only the portion of the larger map/image that covers this
region, at the same resolution and with the same boundaries etc. as your
existing maps in your location.

Does that make sense?

Paul