[GRASSLIST:8005] from cvs to deb

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun Aug 21 02:00:36 EDT 2005

Hi all.
I have tried the automatic generation of (unofficial, of course) Debian
packages from CVS. I have encountered a few difficult spots, but thanks to
Markus Neteler, Moritz Lennert and Steve Halasz I got out of it (eventual
mistakes are mine). In my view, this is much easier and reliable than
compiling by hand. The resulting package can be installed on several
machines, and disinstalled in a breeze.
I have then written the instructions step by step. I am attaching them
hereafter, in the hope that they may be useful to somebody.
All the best.
pc
--
Paolo Cavallini
cavallini at faunalia.it   www.faunalia.it   www.faunalia.com

Download and untar latest grass snapshot, then:
mv grass-6.1.cvs_src_snapshot_2005_08_06 grass-6.1.0

then update it from CVS:
export CVSROOT=:pserver:grass-guest at intevation.de:/home/grass/grassrepository
(this must be done just the first time)

cvs login
 passwd: grass
 cd grass-6.1.0
 cvs up -dP

or (quieter, shows only the changes):
cvs -q up -dP

In case of a previous error during package building or compilation, you'll
have some files marked with "M", or conflicting; remove them before going
further, then once more

cvs -q up -dP

Then either:

su
 dpkg-buildpackage

or, as a normal user:

fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage

A number of -dev packages must be installed for this to work; if they're not,
dpkg-buildpackage gives an understandable error message. Please install them
before proceeding.

cd ..

dpkg -i grass-doc_6.1.0-1_all.deb grass_6.1.0-1_i386.deb
libgrass_6.1.0-1_i386.deb