[GRASSLIST:8105] Re: r.profile & subsequent chart plot

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 22:12:05 EDT 2005

> >> i managed to get a nice output from grass's r.profile to get a
> >> cross section.
> >>
> >> anyone recommend a good program to then plot it with to creat the
> >> cross section graphic?
..
> > Good plotting programmes are R or Gnuplot.
..
> hi all, sounds silly, but I just make a graph with excel, and then you
>
> can save that graph as a postscript or whatever other format is
> useful.

Nothing silly about it. That's what Excel's good at - having a quick
look at your data. It's just not journal quality ;), multiple plots
using the same template is a pain, and the size of your dataset is
severly limited.

Besides R, Gnuplot, Matlab|Octave, I would recommend checking out GRI
for a great scriptable scientific graphing package (free):
  http://gri.sourceforge.net/

see also GRE (Perl rewrite of GRI):
  http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/~kelley/gre/doc/html/

Personally way prefer GRE to GNUplot.