[GRASSLIST:9620] Re: Using unixODBC to connect GRASS to MySQL

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Dec 23 00:42:53 EST 2005

Yeah, I never looked at ODBC because PG & MySQL have their own GRASS
drivers.

I'm not sure what the protocol error thing is all about, I guess I'll
have to try it myself to experience it.  I can try the MySQL ODBC
driver.  At what point does that error appear?  Your bug report
wasn't exactly clear - is it in db.connect (that's what you imply),
db.login or later when data is accessed from the connection?  What
ODBC driver did you use?

On Dec 22, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Lorenzo Moretti wrote:

> iODBC is a very good choice in Mac OS X but ... the problem is
> inside ODBC driver in Grass 6.x.
> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3154&display=History
>
> I had built ODBC driver with iODBC but the result was the same.
> - ODBC driver inside Grass 5.4.0 for OS X worked. Try my app in my
> site.
> - ODBC driver inside Grass 6.x for OS X doesn't work.
>
> It use the same library (unixODBC 2.2.8 and after 2.2.11).
> I don't know if it works in Linux or Cygwin.
>
> Is there someone that use ODBC inside Grass 6.x ?
>
> Today ODBC inside Grass is not updated because most people use pg,
> mysql, dbf, sqlite (all work in OS X - see my tutorial for sqlite
> in last CVS).
> But ODBC is the only choice if you have Oracle, MS SQL, and many
> other DB.
>
> I'll try in the future to built Grass 5.4.0 with iODBC to vie the
> result.
>
> If the ODBC driver in Grass will be update perhaps iODBC will work
> and perhaps FMPro could be used. (I hope)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy