[GRASSLIST:7097] Re: databases

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jun 9 06:02:25 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:27:10PM -0400, Jason Horn wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just stumbled into the topic of using databases linked with
> GRASS.  I'd like to start using mySQL to store and manage spatial
> data, but in spite of all the reading I've done (Tutorials, GRASS
> Wiki, etc), it is still unclear to me what exactly can and can not be
> stored in databases, and how.  For those of you with experience, can
> you point me in the right direction?  I have lots of experience with
> mySQL, so I'm comfortable with that topic. Here are my basic questions:
>
> 1) Does having data in a database mean that it does not need to also
> be stored in GRASS files?
>
> 2) Can any GRASS vector data be stored in a database, or is it just
> points?
>
> 3) How is GRASS vector data put into a database? For example, I
> download a vector file for county boundaries from a state agency
> (polygons).  I can easily import this into GRASS.  Now what?  Many of
> the tutorials focus on querying the database, but how to I load the
> data into the db table in the first place?

This is done automagically by v.in.ogr (if the import format is supported
by OGR).
If you want to throw the attributes into a DB different from DBF file (default),
then use db.connect first:

 http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassSixTutorialAttributeManagement
 ->  Managing the default settings

Hope this helps