[GRASSLIST:7152] v.in.ascii and 6.* tables

Js Wortel j.wortel at wanadoo.nl
Tue Jun 14 10:37:17 EDT 2005

Hi,
I want to import an ASCII x,y,value into a Grass 6.* vector map and use r.surf.idw to interpolate a surface. I can't seem to get the syntax right.
A line of the ASCII file:

89.1 23.5 1202.1232
that represent x y value.
I use:
 cat file1.tab | v.in.ascii out=map1 x=1 y=2 cat=3 fs=\ columns='x double, y double, cat double'
v.in.ascii reports 12838 point imported, and I can display them ok.
I then try:
v.surf.idw input=map1 output=map1r col=cat
v.surf.idw complains: ERROR: Cannot open old vector map1 at jwortel on level 2.
I suppose the col option should point to a field in the attribute table of map map1, but I don't see any associated mpa1.dbf file.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Jeroen.