[GRASSLIST:7330] Re: v.patch does not copy table

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 19:39:21 EDT 2005

> In trying to merge about 20 GPS waypoint files with v.patch, I found
> that a  new table was not created with the attributes from all of the
> input maps.

I think the issue is that v.patch doesn't do it as it doesn't know if
all the tables have all the same number and type of columns, etc. ??

Michael Barton has written v.append to overcome this by exporting to a
shape file and using ogr2ogr to merge before reimporting to GRASS.

see the wiki add-ons page:
  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassAddOns

> Alternatively I can do this with v.out.ascii.db, awk, and then
> v.in.ascii ...  but is there any plan for preserving point attributes
> in v.patch?

dunno.

Hamish