[GRASSLIST:6025] Re: moving layers from one machine to another

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 18:19:44 EST 2005

> > Chris, could you try to convert head and dbln files from UNIX to Mac
> > (newline characters)?
>
> Radim, I changed the line endings to Mac, but I still received a bus
> error on loading the layer.

For the record, Mac OS/X newlines *are* UNIX newlines.

        esc   abbr   octal     dec   ctrl-char

UNIX    \n    LF     \012      10     ^J
MacOSX  \n    LF     \012      10     ^J
DOS     \r\n  CR LF  \015\012  13 10  ^M^J
MacOS9* \r    CR     \015      13     ^M

[*] Mac OS9 and earlier versions of Mac OS

I have also seen text which came with \n\r, presumably from buggy
software, either as badly formed DOS or MacOS9 format.

Some software takes it upon itself to translate text files on download
to the local format, causing all sorts of mayhem. (e.g. Internet
Explorer, some FTP & email software) MacOSX versions of Internet
Explorer and MS Office actually automatically translate text files into
the *old* Mac format. I'll leave it up to the masses to decide if this
is a backwards-compatibility decision or a bug.

for more info see the man pages for: dos2unix, unix2dos, file, tr

Hamish