[GRASSLIST:6049] Re: Windfarm Modeling

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 19:13:45 EST 2005

> I want to add a 3d vector layer to a terrain model in NVIZ containing
> 5 x 100m high turbines in order to visualise the impact at specific
> points in the nearby villages.
>
> Can someone suggest the best way to do this in Grass 6.0. I have the
> co-ordinates of the 5 turbines but no dxf file of the turbines. I'm
> new to Grass.

The GRASS 5.1 (aka 5.7 aka 6.0) test dataset had something close:

http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g51/pov.png

(v.out.pov + POV-Ray, but NVIZ will do something close)

see also the watertower example:
  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/index.php
  http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/architex.asp#DXF
  http://grass.itc.it/grass57/tutorial/ex_basic.html#3DDWG

(see the windmill and windmill2 at 3dcafe as well (not DXF?))

If you are from the industry end of things, you can probably get a wind
tower DXF easily enough. If not you might get an artistic type to learn
QCAD?

but the simple "radio tower" grid is probably good enough to begin with,
as part of the 5.1 test dataset, http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g51/data.html

but if I recall that data is now outdated so Radim removed it.
[Radim?]

May be best to create a ascii-vector by hand and import with
v.in.ascii -z format=standard

see
 (mailing list email on doing this; can't find it now)
 http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/manuals/html60_user/v.in.ascii.html

If you figure it out, the world could use a good example.

Hamish