[GRASSLIST:6258] hdf and modis/aster

Ian W. Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 25 17:14:58 EST 2005

Hi all, I am trying to import some MASTER data (combined MODIS and
ASTER) that is an hdf4 file (it should have the same exact format as
MODIS data).  After realizing that I need to import the subdatasets
(which import fine into an XY location), I have run into a problem.  It
seems that the data I want is in one subdataset, but the latitudes and
longitudes are in separate subdatasets.  How can I import this so that
the data I want is actually georeferenced?

I tried gdal_translate on a whim (gdal_translate -of GTiff -b 1
subdataset myfile.tif), but I ended up with a geotiff that either gives
me an error of "cellhd.proj = 0 (unreferenced)" or if r.in.gdal -o
"G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for South".

Anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
Ian

PS Using Mac 10.3.8, Grass  6.1cvs (march 22)

Ian MacMillan
Geological Sciences-UCSB

"insert witticism here"