[GRASSLIST:6296] California Albers and false northing

Tim De Chant dechant at nature.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 30 17:30:35 EST 2005

I'm currently working on getting Landsat images for the Bay Area into
GRASS 6.1cvs (Mac OS X) but I keep running into issues with the
projection.  I've searched the list and came up with one solution,
which was to manually edit the PROJ_INFO file into this:

name: Albers Equal Area
proj: aea
ellps: clark66
a: 6378206.4000000004
es: 0.0067686580
lat_0: 0.0000000000
lat_1: 34.0000000000
lat_2: 40.5000000000
lon_0: -120.0000000000
y_0: -4000000

This returns an error saying the dataset PROJ_INFO doesn't match.
Here's what the GeoTIFF contains:

name: Albers Equal Area
proj: aea
datum: nad83
a: 6378137
es: 0.0066943800
lat_1: 34
lat_2: 40.5
lat_0: 0
lon_0: -120
x_0: 0
y_0: -4000000
no_defs: defined

I've tried modifying the PROJ_INFO file to match this to no avail.
I've also tried to override the projection information in the dataset
with no luck (under both variants of the PROJ_INFO file).

Does anyone have any advice for working with California Albers?  I'm a
new user (so thanks for bearing with me).

Tim
Tim De Chant
     University of California, Berkeley
     Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
     137 Mulford Hall #3114
     Berkeley, CA 94720-3114
     (510) 643-3910