[GRASSLIST:6303] Re: California Albers and false northing

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Mar 31 02:30:57 EST 2005

Check out the Global Land Cover Facility
http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/index.shtml

You can download orthorectified landsat ETM data for anywhere in the world.
You can also download nice 30m SRTM data (90m outside the US) that you can
use for a base topographic layer. Both will import into GRASS using
r.in.gdal. They are in WGS84/UTM geotiff format. Once they are in grass, you
can r.proj to reproject them to nearly any other projection you might run
into. I just did this for one of my research areas today. I draped a band
7,5,2 rgb composite image over a 30m SRTM in NVIZ and it looked like we were
flying over it in a plane. Amazing.

Check out the VERY nice visual tutorial that comes with the current Mac OSX
binary release of GRASS.

Cheers,
Michael
PO Box 872402