[GRASSLIST:8840] Re:Installation problems

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Wed Nov 2 08:08:50 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
>Subject: [GRASSLIST:8835] Installation problems

>Hi,
>I am having some problems installing Grass6.0 on a windows 2000 OS.
>I have got to the part where I have run the following command
>c:\Cygwin\grass60.bat

>This seems to run fine but them nothing happens. On the installation guide
at http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html - this is step 7. I cannot progess further
than this phase. Any assistance would be >>>>appreciated.
Thanks

--
>Kind Regards

>Gregor Calderwood

When you say that everything seems fine, what happens exactly? When I
double-click on my Grass 6./6.0 icon, I get a Dos window that opens up,
displaying "Starting xWin.bat on Windows 2003/Xp" etc., followed by the
Grass 6.1cvs Data Selection window.

What I would try first is to see if you can get Grass 6.0 started the 'long'
way: Start Cygwin and type 'startx' at the command prompt. You should get an
X-window opening up. Then type grass60, and see if that starts Grass
properly. If you successfully start Grass, do a clean exit, and make sure
the Cygwin X/Server is closed....you can check this by looking in the system
tray for a little X icon...right-click to close. Grass won't re-run if the
X-Window manager is still running in the background from a previous session
(at least it doesn't for me).

Also, where did you uninstall your Grass tar packages? I've had problems in
the past running Grass in the past when the packages were extracted in the
root directory (C:/Cygwin for me). I currently have all my Grass packages
extracted in /usr/local (C:/Cygwin/usr/local), and everything is golden.
(others can please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here).

Hope this helps,

~ Eric.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric Patton