[GRASSLIST:8856] i.points and data loss

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Thu Nov 3 10:29:06 EST 2005

Ian,

I've noticed that there hasn't been a reply posted to your question. I'm not a developer and I've used i.points very little, but I found your situation strange. I spent a little time this morning looking through the source for i.points to see if it is possible that i.points could destroy a target location or the files and subdirectories. As far as I can see there is nothing in the code that could make that possible. The only system calls are to programs such as geo.unlock, i.find, geo.quest, geo.reg, and geo.point. Curiously under the GRASS 6.1 cvs, only i.find still exists, so I'm rather amazed the program still runs. On my system, I can only find those other programs under GRASS 5.4.

Did you have any other processes running? I would strongly recommend that you duplicate the source and target directories, so if something odd happens nothing is lost. Then I would try to recreate the situation. A cursory examination of the code doesn't reveal how your problem could have been caused by i.points at all.

I hope that helps. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Perhaps one of the developers can make a comments about this.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)