[GRASSLIST:8869] Re: GRASS and Garmin GPS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 19:44:44 EST 2005

> 1. Interface Garmin Etrex GPS with GRASS for
> a. on line usage as well as

Within GRASS the only [published] realtime GPS software is my
m.realtime_gps for GRASS 5.3. Uses gpsd.

You may be better off using software like gpsdrive for this task.
You can export a GeoTIFF + shapefile from GRASS for a backdrop image??

> b. 'after survey' data of way points and track download.

Use v.in.garmin or QGIS's GPS plugin.

> Earlier I received mail from this list, that PROJ4 is preloaded with
> GRASS6.1.. Then why it gives eerror about not finding modules of
> PROJ4..

It isn't preloaded, but it is a prerequisite. You need to have the cs2cs
program installed to use v.in.garmin, not just libproj. Some installs of
proj may only provide the library, not the executables. Most have both.

> Is there a bug..

Perhaps.. I have just updated this test in CVS:

CS2CS=`which cs2cs`
if [ "$CS2CS" = "" ] ; then
    echo "cs2cs program not found, install it first"

Which should have stopped things if cs2cs wasn't found.
see http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-November/020021.html

Hamish