[GRASSLIST:8938] Percent cover maps

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:31:13 EST 2005

Hi all,

I have a 0.008333 degree land cover map of south America (1km AVHRR)
with 13 land cover classes. I'd like to produce 13 other maps (one for
each class) but with a coarser resolution (ideally 0.25 degrees) and
the percent cover for each class in each pixel. Sounds confusing? The
end result would be a map at 0.25 degrees that says for instance that
a pixel has 50% forest...

My first approach would be to separate the land cover map in 13 binary
(0 1) maps for each class, do a r.neighbors with method=sum and then
divide the result by the size of the neighborhood*resolution. Does
that sound correct?

The problem is that I'm stuck with resolutions that are multiple of
0.008333. Is there another way?

Thanks

Daniel