[GRASSLIST:9026] Re: ArcView vs GRASS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Nov 12 01:48:48 EST 2005

I'd jump in here, but I think the rest of you have said it pretty well. For
making nice maps fairly easily--especially in a business
environment--ArcView is a good choice. For an academic/research environment
I think GRASS is a better choice. It Idrisi is also a good choice for the
latter environment, but only runs on Windows. I'm not sure yet how ArcGIS
9.x fits in. My initial reaction is that ESRI may have hurt the formula that
worked so well in the past. ArcGIS is much more powerful than ArcView, but
it is also considerably more complicated. Making a nice map is not so easy
any more. On the other hand, its installation and licensing (including the
dongle that has to be repurchased each year I'm told) is not unusual for a
large business environment, but it is problematic in an academic/research
environment.

Michael

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402