[GRASSLIST:9041] Re: ArcView vs GRASS

Christian Ferreira christian.grass at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 20:43:26 EST 2005

Hi all,

First, awesome e-mail Mr. M S!

Well, in my opinion the OSS/GIS revolution had already started.

I tell this because with my distro (Poseidon Linux) I have meet (personally
or by e-mail) tons of people that wants to get out of GIS proprietary
software (Arcview/ArcGIS and ArcIMS).

MapServer is rapidly becoming a standard here in Brazil. Just an example:
Tyler Mitchell is here for a national MapServer congress.

And QGIS is also hitting ArcView pretty well just because they do nearly the
same GIS things. Also I and Arthur Nanni translated it to pt_BR to make it
easier for our people.

Talking about GRASS is also going to hit ArcGIS, just because some people
already saw that GRASS have awesome tools for analyses.

But it needs with a easier/better UI and localized version to pt_BR (without
this is really difficult to make a big switch, because many GIS techs don't
know English very well). That's my opinion.

ESRI is also with an eye on Linux/GRASS. They are slowly putting some
Servers product for Linux (ArcIMS etc), and also ArcExplorer.

Anyway, GIS people on Brazil are first going to QGIS/GRASS to don't pay
licences anymore. But I saw many that had realized that QGIS/GRASS is not
only cheaper, is BETTER!

Good night GRASS folks!

Cheers,

--