[GRASSLIST:9214] GRASS education

Maning Sambale esambale at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 06:42:11 EST 2005

Dear grasslist,

  For a couple of months I have been using GRASS (cygwin & debian)  and it really got me hooked.  It really suprises me everytime I am  at bash or when I'm reading my mailing list.

  I am a faculty in a college in the Philippines involved in  environmental planning & management.  We have been gradually  introducing our students to GIS & RS.  I believe foss gis/rs  is a better option not just on the economics but on optimal learning as  well.

  I have been developing some exercises that we will use for our lab  sessions.  I have virtually httracked most of the GRASS tutorial  (from hannover, moritz, the seeds, and others) as references. I also  borrowed Markus and Helen's 2nd ed book from a good friend.

  What I want to ask this list is if you can provide me with references  and insights which can help me in developing our lab exercises.   The objective is to introduce GIS concepts (using foss) to the students  as a tool for local planning & resource management as well as  acquire practical GIS skills.

  What do you think are the core GIS/RS competency/skills they should acquire as beginning GIS user's?

  This morning we had our first GRASS intro exercise and some of the  students are having difficulty using the CLI  (all of them are  windows user with virtually no msdos experience) . The exercise was  intentionally prepared to use the CLI (borrowed mostly from markus and  helens book), because I believe they can learn more of  GRASS'  power with CLI.  Is this a good approach?

  In the succeeding weeks we will be tackling basic GIS operations,  raster and vector input, basic spatial analysis, land cover mapping  (with landsat data), map layouts, and possibly some on nviz.  Is  this too much/less for a beginner?

  Any insights from the developers, users, and educators would be very helpful.

  Cheers,

  Maning

  PS:  I have previously posted an inquiry in installing GRASS on  ubuntu breezy, the answers were very useful but I was not able to  completely install probably because of my limited Linux  experience.  After reading the distro thread from the grasslist I  have resorted to using debian so that I can use grass6 in linux.   Thanks again.

"Freedom is the most radical idea of all"  - Nathaniel Branden

"The opposite of pro is con/That fact is clearly seen/If progress means move forward/Then what does Congress?" - Nipsey Russell

Philippine Biodiversity Web Map
http://www.geocities.com/esambale/philbiodivmap/philbirds.html

Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/