[GRASSLIST:8532] iEMSs 2006 conference

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Oct 7 02:58:50 EDT 2005

Dear GRASS users,

Maybe this is a good moment to advocate the iEMSs 2006 meeting in
Burlington, Vermont. http://www.iemss.org/iemss2006/ I usually don't
feel very confident about sending a bit OT messages like this to focused
lists, please forgive me.

This is the third conference of iEMSs (the first two were in Switzerland
and Germany), which is an independent international scientific
organisation for advancing environmental modelling and software and
uniting people working in that domain. iEMSs has strong links to MODSIM,
which has had several successful conferences in Australia and New Zealand.

What makes iEMSs 2006 particularly interesting, and why I'm advocting it
for you, is the workshop 13 "Open geospatial tools and methods in
environmental modeling and management", which I'm organizing with Ned
Horning. The president of iEMSs has this to say about iEMSs 2006:

The Summit is incorporating a very innovative program of workshops (some
15 at present), as well as the more standard sessions (another 15 or so)
with presentations. The website has a list of themes currently and we
would be pleased to consider other topics from you. But we refer you to
the website and accompanying blog to examine which existing sessions you
may wish to join - in which case you should contact the organisers of
that session. For most of you, we expect that the current sessions on
offer will cover your interests.

For workshop organisers we are requesting at least one rough draft
INVITED POSITION PAPER (IPP) of the issues (opportunities, challenges
etc.) by the end of November, with other contributed papers optional for
workshop attendees. All serious participants would at least be required
to have an abstract. Position papers, other full papers and abstracts
would be peer-reviewed and pre-published in the Summit Proceedings
before the Summit. We will reserve at least one book in the Elsevier
IDEA Series that publishes a chapter on the findings of each workshop
and their IPP  - these would be updated versions of the Position papers,
revised based on the workshop outcomes. We also have special journal
issues available.

For standard sessions there will be a more formal structure where there
is a 20 minute or so slot for presentation, and pre-published papers for
these are mandatory, albeit with a timeline of February 2006 for
submission to reviewers. However standard sessions could easily be
converted to a workshop format anytime, subject to the session
organisers and authors agreeing.

I'd like to encourage you to participate in the conference and I'd
especially like to see a contribution about GRASS and its many uses  in
the geospatial tools workshop.

Best regards,

Ari Jolma

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics