[GRASSLIST:8612] Re: NVIZ not working properly in GRASS 6?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 13 19:06:07 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:17:35PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <twiens at interbaun.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:02:21 -0600
> Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 01:26:50PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rbeyer at arc.nasa.gov> flavor, containing:
> > >
> > > I'm running X.org 6.8.2 which also has these libraries.  So I'm guessing
> > > that's not it, but I don't know much about these things, maybe it is?
>
> Me too

> > I have Grass 6(cvs) installed on my home FreeBSD 5.4 machine (also running
> > X.org 6.8.2), my office FreeBSD 4.11 machine (running XFree86 4.3.0) and my
> > laptop FreeBSD 4.11 machine (also running XFree86 4.3.0).  Both the home and
> > office machine use NVIDIA video card with NVIDIA drivers --- these replace
> > MesaGL with an accelerated set of GL libraries specific to NVIDIA cards.
> > NVIZ works beautifully on both of those machines.  On the laptop, which has
> > only its built-in ATI Mobility video card and uses MesaGL, NVIZ gets the black
> > rectangle instead of the 3-D scene and is useless.  All the controls in NVIZ
> > act like they're working, but the actual rendered scene never shows up.
>
> I'm also using a NVIDIA card have the x.org drivers installed as well. I get the same phenomena, blackness (and dead slowness) for 6.1, but everything works in 6.0.

Hmmm.  Sounds like there's something fishy in the Mesa that comes with x.org
6.8.2, then (and also with the old XFree86-4.3.0), or at least with how NVIZ
is using them.  The NVIDIA driver set replaces all the GL libraries, and when
I use those instead NVIZ works fine (I last built from CVS about a week ago,
and NVIZ has no problem on my NVIDIA-card/NVIDIA-driver system.  When I say
"NVIDIA driver" I mean the one from NVIDIA that requires separate installation,
not the "nv" driver that comes with x.org.  These drivers are available for
linux and FreeBSD (on BSD they're /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver/).

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster