[GRASSLIST:8613] Interpolating and mapping the output of ecosystem models with GRASS

Luigi Ponti lponti at infinito.it
Thu Oct 13 19:05:43 EDT 2005

Dear GRASS Users Mailing List,

I would like to ask some advice on using GRASS to map the output of
weather-driven population models for ecosystem analysis.

Our group is considering GRASS as a way to map the georeferenced output
of the ecosystem models developed in our lab. In short, once
meteorological data (i.e., model input) and geographic data are acquired
for a particular landscape, an ecosystem model is run for each weather
station location of interest. Therefore, the output of the model
consists of a summary table combining the point locations of the weather
stations with the output value of interest.

In order for this output to be mapped, an interpolation process is
needed to retrieve the spatial distribution of the values estimated by
the ecological model across the landscape. Another critical point is the
ability to 'clip' and eliminate areas which are not of interest to the
study, such as elevation which is too high, or other tracts of land or
water which are not of interest to the study.

Would GRASS be able to interpolate such spatial distribution and also
'clip' the out-of-interest areas? I am new to GRASS but I assume that
such capabilities are, at least potentially, already in place in GRASS.
What I cannot figure out is the amount of work needed to implement such
functionalities starting from the summary output table that I mentioned
above. Any hint is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Luigi Ponti
Visiting Scholar
University of California, Berkeley
Environmental Science, Policy & Management
lponti at nature.berkeley.edu