[GRASSLIST:8638] Re: NVIZ not working properly in GRASS 6?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Oct 14 16:09:43 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 01:50:29PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:30:20AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rbeyer at arc.nasa.gov> flavor, containing:
> > Tom,
> >
> > On Thursday 13 October 2005 04:06 pm, Tom Russo wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm.  Sounds like there's something fishy in the Mesa that comes with
[...]
> > Thanks for all of the info.
> >
> > My FreeBSD 5.4 system with X.org 6.8.2 has an ATI video card, so
> > the NVIDIA drivers aren't really a solution for me.
>
> Nor is it a solution for me on my laptop with its ATI video.  I had been
> hoping that my problem there was the old BSD OS and older XFree86 install.
> Your experience is dashing that hope, since you're running what I'd be
> upgrading to.
>
> You might try installing DRI and enabling it.  I am not entirely certain that
> I ever did it correctly on the laptop (only tried once, probably two years ago,
> and now can't try it on the laptop because the current DRI port requires xorg,
> which I won't have until I update the machine).  See /usr/ports/graphics/dri,
> and check out the FreeBSD specific stuff on http://dri.sourceforge.net/

I've been reading that FreeBSD specific stuff, which brought me to:
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/install.html

Looks like DRM/DRI is part of the BSD 5.4 install already, and you just have
to enable it in your X config file.  The instructions are in that install file.
Might be something quick to try.  I'm really curious if it helps, as it'll
light a fire under me to upgrade that laptop's system.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster