[GRASSLIST:8658] Re: Eureka! [was Re: Re: NVIZ not working properly in GRASS 6?]

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 07:42:52 EDT 2005

> I set everything up in my xorg.conf file for my ATI FireGL card,
> however glxinfo displayed "direct rendering: No" and close inspection
> of /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows this:
>
> (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering not yet supported on Radeon 9500 and
> newer cards

The 9250 was the last card that ATI released the interface specs for, so
is the last card properly supported by XFree86/X.org for DRI
acceleration. ATI provides binary drivers for Linux for newer cards.
see http://dri.sf.net

FWIW, Debian/Linux's XFree86 4.3.0 was working fine for me last week
with and without DRI turned on with my 9250.

> Okay, I also have this Radeon 9200 card that I can try out.  Despite
> the fact that the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file shows
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
>
> glxinfo still says "direct rendering: No".

dunno

> In both cases, NVIZ displayed the same graphics buffer junk in its
> visualization window, so I continue to be out of luck.  I think
> that your question about why NVIZ needs direct rendering is a valid
> one, and maybe someone can answer that.  However, short of a
> GRASS-centric solution, it seems I need to go out and find a way
> to get direct rendering working for NVIZ to work.

as a test you could try if NVIZ in GRASS 5.7.0 worked, 6.0.0, etc.
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass54/source/
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass57/source/
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/source/
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/source/

or to further narrow it down do a cvs checkout of grass6 using a
date_spec between the release dates of 5.7 and the latest CVS to try and
isolate when it went bad. Pick the middle date, test, pick the new
middle, etc and you should be able to home in on it with some speed..

Hamish