[GRASSLIST:8749] Re: Qgis Gps interface

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 18:58:01 EDT 2005

> I have Qgis 7 installed om MS Windows XP.
> I have a Garmi Etrex GPS ( shown in Qgis as figure)
> Any help to
> GPS settings: Any differen Baud rate etc to be set on GPS
> Windows XP settings: If any are needed
>

> 1. Importing data from GPS to Computer
> 2. Exporting to GPS
> 3. Live recording from GPS on vector
>     Ex: I drive through a road and the ROAD to be etched through the
>     GPS on Map
>
> I have already connected the Garmin GPS to 9 pin serial port, but it
> failed to communicate, Import data from GPS

a) you may get better answers about QGIS on the QGIS forums:
  http://community.qgis.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=41

b) try GPStrackmaker Pro (not open source, but no cost) for windows
  http://www.gpstm.com

c) try gpsbable for windows, mac, or linux
  http://www.gpsbabel.org

d) gpsd for linux is the most robust general solution
  http://gpsd.berlios.de

e) try gpstrans for linux (garmin protocol only but useful)
  http://gpstrans.sourceforge.net

f) my m.realtime_gps hack(s) for GRASS 5 (uses gpsd):
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2004-February/024763.html

Often it is good enough and easier to have the GPS record its position
every 15-30 seconds and download the track to a laptop every few hours.
The setup menu for this should be found in the track display on your
Garmin.

Hamish